March 11, 2010

Running on Empty

I am embarrassed to post this, but that is one of the many purposes of this blog - so you can learn from my mistakes. I came home and immediately hopped onto the computer just to tell you about the most recent.

Today I felt hungry. Hungry after breakfast, hungry after lunch. This should have been a big clue to me, but alas, no. What it needed to be was a huge sign - neon lights and all - saying "Girl, you are stupid! You obviously did not get enough to eat." Instead, I simply thought that I was feeling particularly voracious and needed to settle my meddling mind & stomach down.

After work I went to the gym as I do most Monday-Thursday and found that I was having difficulty on the elliptical  - the elliptical, folks. This thing isn't even as hard as a treadmill and I can't get my legs to move? As I was 3/4 mile into my exercise I got to thinking about what I had to eat today.

--Well, I had 13-14 oz of smoothie this morning and 26 for lunch. That's normal.
What went into this smoothie: 2 apples, 2 bananas, 2 C spinach & 3 C water.
What the hell was I thinking?!  If you are good with numbers you will realize how many calories that I was attempting to consume as my daily intake:
Calories in a medium-large size apple: 95-115
Calories in a medium-sized banana: 105
Calories in a packed cup of spinach: 14

Okay, you math whizzes, have you done your calculations?
That is a whopping 468 calories!!
This is what I was hoping would get me through the day - 468 itsy bitsy, raw calories! Dumb, folks. I'm dumb. And on top of this I am going to the gym 4-5 days a week and burning at least that each day. Running on Empty!  The goal of this cleanse isn't to starve myself & it isn't to loose weight either; but apparently that's the road I'm headed down. What has happened is that I am not measuring my smoothies by their contents, but rather their quantity. I haven't been thinking about calories and have merely been thinking about how much smoothie I am consuming in one day. Now, granted, some of these smoothies are much thicker (less water - more substance) than others. Today's smoothie - not substantial enough on its own.

I will not be continuing down this path of self-destruction & starvation. In fact, after the realization hit me mid stride on the elliptical, I decided to save today's calories and head home. What I need is a new plan - a plan to consume more calories. This would seem easy, as one would simply say - "Well, have more smooties." This is a great idea, except for the fact that even though I have a "real job" I am still rather poor. I shop at Greenlife http://www.greenlifegrocery.com/www/docs/1 which I love, but organic is pricey & produce in general is too. Example: I picked up ingredients the other day to make 4 smoothies - $18 and I already had many of the ingredients at home. And if I need to have 2-3 smoothies per day then I am going to go broke trying to go green here!

I'd like to reach out to anyone who has any good ideas of how to make this cleanse work within a reasonable budget. Is is feasible? Do I shorten the cleanse? Do I call it quits?
While I try to figure things out I will still be having smoothies - just many more of them.

1 comment:

  1. Either do organic and incorporate more foods than just smoothies - if that's the most important thing to you, or go to conventionally grown to save money and keep doing smoothies.

    How about incorporating protein powder? It'll boost calories, make sure you get enough protein (a common vegan concern), and keep you more full.

    ReplyDelete