March 17, 2010

Dining Out Dilemma

During my time as a vegan - just over two weeks - I have not run across any problems regarding meals that cannot be solved with a quick trip to the grocery store or a great recipe. Vegans can eat meals that are just as fabulous as those that contain animal products.
The issue now is dining out.

Chattanooga, TN - where I live - has one vegan restaurant and one vegetarian restaurant. I have dined at the vegan restaurant prior to being a vegan & even before I was vegetarian and did not enjoy my experience. Most likely, I just need to give it another try.
The vegetarian restaurant in town I have not tried yet but am anxious to do so as most of their menu items fit into 'vegan' category.

So what is the problem? When friends want to dine out, they do not want to go to the same restaurants again & again. Heck, I don't want to go to the same restaurants again and again. I just learned that I will no longer be able to eat at my favorite Italian restaurant in town. Because they make fresh pasta, they use eggs & so it's out. Another favorite restaurant of mine offers many vegetarian options but most of those include sandwiches (bread made with eggs) or cheese.

What's in? Mexican. I am so glad that this is generally one of my top choices as I feel that I will be eating quite a lot of it. Japanese  - veggie sushi rolls - are also an option that I might be trying more and more of.

With a guest coming into town for a few days I will most certainly want to take them out to eat - and because she doesn't care for Mexican or sushi - the question now is "where?"

1 comment:

  1. I think this is one of the big problems with being vegan. Etiquette says you accommodate your guest's preferences and tastes, so it looks like you're stuck with eating before or after you go out with her.

    Is vegan really the best choice? Can you have the impact you want for animal rights/environment/etc by being just slightly more flexible in diet? Is there a middle ground with well-cared-for dairy products (free range eggs and cheese from documented sources with happy animals)? If not, I think the downsides of social life as a vegan come with the territory. Something to think about and weigh. Sacrificing significant chunks of your diet for quality of animal life looks like it will sacrifice quality of *your* life.

    ReplyDelete