March 10, 2010

Education + Dedication

A quick overview of my cleanse/detox:
Yesterday evening was quite difficult. When I get home I just want something to munch/crunch and this seems to be the hardest part for me. This morning, however, I felt fantastic and had a particularly yummy smoothie.

About my smoothies:
Currently I am getting my recipes from a book by Victoria Boutenko - Green Smoothie Revolution & I quite like it. The only difficulty that I am coming across is a descrepency of how much smoothie that each recipe makes. Each recipe is listed as making one or two quarts. I choose to make the 2 quart recipes so that I do not have to blend as often. However, most of these recipes only turn out 30-50 oz each. I suppose that it could vary depending on the size of my fruits and greens but a quart difference is just ridiculous.
Consumption:
I know that many people are worried about me getting enough calories & nutrition but I would like to set your minds at ease. I consume a minimum of 55 oz of smoothie per day but often I make more when I am feeling hungry. In your average smoothie you can have quite a bit of fruits and veggies.

Take this morning's smoothie:
1/4 C water
2 bananas
1 large bosc pear
1 large gala apple
2 C (packed) kale (I used dinosaur kale, also known as lacinato blue)

Although this smoothie told me that it would make 2 quarts, it only made 30 oz and I was very disappointed because it was particularly delicious. So this smoothie was halved - half for breakfast and half for dinner. Lunch consists of 26 oz of another smoothie. Smoothies must be consumed slowly for better assimilation of nutrients, mixing of saliva, and warming of drink; thus my "lunch" smoothie will be spread throughout the afternoon approx. 11:30-3:30 taking half at a time.

About being a newbie:
Because veganism is very new to me I am still learning. I have purchased a number of books on the subject so that I can learn what type of nutrients & vitamins need to be in my daily diet. There are a few problems here - reading a lot of information all at once is hard to digest and even more difficult to retain. Also, I have had trouble getting motivated to read all of these books. After a day at work, sitting down to a textbook style read is not exactly high on my list of entertaining/relaxing activities. Another issue is that new studies & theories in health and nutrition are constantly being developed and many people have very different ideas on the subject, so often these books contradict each other.
I do realize that weather we are vegan or not we should be learning as much as we can to take care of our bodies and this takes time and effort - now it's just a matter of getting down to task.

No comments:

Post a Comment