April 10, 2010

The Recipe Book Purge

When I left home for college in 2003 I took with me a book of recipe cards containing my favorite meals from my childhood. Among this collection included: baked mac & cheese, twice baked potatoes, pizza, chocolate chip cookies, lasagna, sweet & sour meatballs. All of these were my comfort foods which I gladly cooked up for roommates over the years.
As well as this cookbook, I started collecting recipes found in our local newspaper, which has a "food" section every Wednesday, and recipes found online. My collection was housed in a giant 3 ring binder with yellowed newspaper recipes pasted to card stock and slipped into page protectors. Each section contained a table of contents & comments could be added after each dish was prepared for the first time.
This week I purged my recipe books.
I have decided that returning to animal products is not something that I wish to do - and my recipe books, with their unopened pages, needed to reflect this. The only section which truly stayed in-tact was the "veggies & sides" collection. My sister has since inherited 6+ years of the best recipes I've found.
What I need now is to start my vegan cookbook collection. I have come across numerous books with rave reviews that I am dying to pick up. I need to just spend the money to do it because I have found myself eating the same things again and again. It certainly doesn't help that I am a very picky eater either. Mostly it is veggies stuffed into hummus spread tortillas for lunch + fruit on the side. Dinner is harder - as I come home hungry and haven't pre-prepared anything in ages. Soups don't appeal to me when the weather is warmer - so I am going to need to figure things out. But dinner thus far has been anything from steamed veggie pot-stickers + veggies to baked sweet potatoes or even a peanut butter slathered tortilla and various munchies.
I have been pretty good about eating my greens after I ended my smoothie cleanse and my blood is showing that my iron levels are great - something that always suffered for me as an omni.
Now I just need to make sure that I am eating balanced meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment