April 12, 2010

Pancakes for Everyone!

Vegan pancakes really are possible. No, they do not taste like "regular" pancakes. Yes, they are still delicious.

Whipped up some of these on Sunday morning after a late night out and in preparation for my day-long hike. Although I cannot remember where I found the recipe (it was somewhere on the web) many people seemed to agree that this was a good one.
The consistency is similar to that of Bisquick pancakes (which were my favorite). If you are used to the extra-fluffy light things you might find at a pancake shop - don't look here. The non-vegans liked them (not quite as well as the usual, but neither did I). They seem to be a good substitution for the "real thing." I doubled the recipe since I was feeding a group of people and it worked well.



Pretty Darn Good Vegan Pancakes 

Ingredients:


1C flour (I suppose you can use whichever type you have at hand. I used unbleached)
2t baking powder
1/2 t salt
3 T sugar
1t vanilla
1 egg replacer (I used Ener-G)
1 C soy milk
2 T veg oil

Directions:

Mix the wet ingredients (vanilla, egg replacer, soy milk & veg oil)
Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, sugar, salt)
Pour the wet into the dry and mix until smooth.


I cooked these on my "griddler." The pancakes do "bubble" when they are ready to flip. They golden nicely & taste sweetly of vanilla.
I had maple syrup from some of my baking and did not enjoy it on my pancakes. Much too sweet. I suppose that I am accustomed to the thick high fructose corn syrup version of "maple syrup". I think that these would be tastier with blueberries or bananas thrown in. Think I will give it a try next go-round.

On another note:
I made a product request at Greenlife last Tuesday and they had it in the store on Sunday! It was a fantastic surprise! I will be sure to write about my very thrilling discovery next!!

No comments:

Post a Comment