October 24, 2010

Still Vegan

Although there was a hiatus in my blog posting - I have survived the summer (and most of the fall) and am still vegan!

As I am approaching my one-year meat-free anniversary, I realized that this blog was a positive outlet in my life and that I should get back on board again. There is much that I have not written about and many challenges which I have come across in the past 7 months. I have moved to a new city, headed back to school, and thrown my very consistent day-to-day schedule out the window. So, I can't promise that blogging will happen regularly, but I will do my very best not to miss huge gaps of time.

Because I need to be studying at the moment, I will start my blogging return with something light & quick.
This summer I was tattooed.
This would generally not be a topic of interest for those who are vegan, but the tattoo is a symbol of my dedication to my vegan lifestyle. I chose one of the symbols for veganism and had it tattooed on my inner wrist. It is a constant reminder to me of why I made this change in my life.
Many were surprised at my choice as I had only been a vegan for a few months when I got the tattoo. For me, though, choosing to become a vegan and live that lifestyle was/is not something temporary.

Notable: Not all tattoos are vegan friendly! Tattoo ink has two parts: the color (ink) and the carrier solution. To get black ink, bone char (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_char) is generally used. Yuck! The carrier solution often contains glycerin (which is derived from animal fats) but can be derived from vegetable bases as well. I felt that if I was getting at tattoo to symbolize veganism that I couldn't use animal products to perform the process. 
Thus began my careful research to find the closest vegan friendly tattoo shop and inks until I found one which met my standards. I chose Only You Tattoo in Atlanta, GA
http://www.onlyyoutattoo.com/
One of the owners, Danielle, is actually vegan herself. Matt, a vegetarian, did my tattoo & I am very pleased.

For aftercare of the tattoo I used Black Cat products and really liked them.
http://www.tattooaftercare.net/

Personal hygiene/bath care products is a topic which I am very interested in covering, but that will have to wait for another day.

1 comment:

  1. It's so funny that you started doing this, because I looked yesterday to see if you had updated recently! Glad you started doing it again...don't let it distract you too much though!

    ReplyDelete